Izzy's Incredible Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
At some point I want to come back to these and do more experimentation, but they've gone over well every time I've served them so I'm happy to present this version.
1/2 cup refined coconut oil (as room temperature SOLID) 1 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup almond milk 1 Tbsp vanilla extract 1 Tbsp Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer and Water 2 cups flour 1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cream together coconut oil and brown sugar until smooth using mixer
- Add almond milk, vanilla, and egg replacer (prepared according to package)
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, gluten, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Slowly incorporate dry mixture into wet ingredients until a dough is formed
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill for at least two hours in the fridge
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take dough out of fridge. As soon as it is soft enough, use a spoon to form into balls approximately 2 Tbsp each. Place each ball about 2" apart on the parchment paper.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
I did all the mixing in a stand mixer. A handheld one will do fine too but electric makes a huge difference in creaming.
If the coconut oil isn't a soft solid at the start, it won't cream well and the texture will suffer.
You can leave out the gluten but it won't have as good a texture.
If you don't chill the dough, the coconut oil will melt too fast in the oven and the cookies will spread too much.